Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Tips for Church Musicians

Disclaimer: I refuse to be called religious. I simply acknowledge that what the true Bible says about God sending His Son to die on the cross and resurrecting on the third day to be real and His love is unconditional for all. This is what I know is true, regardless if James Cameron believes it or not.

For those people who don't know me, I have been a church musician for more than 10 years. Yup. More than 10 years of playing black and white "for the love of God" as Steve Vai would have written it.

If I counted how many Sundays were that, I'd be lost. It'd be worse if I counted how many times I was late. Of course, everyone would know I was late! Hehe. Funny how people would count lates more than the times you were on time. People.

Anyway, God has been faithful and good throughout the years despite my inconsistencies and flaws. So here are some tips for you guys who are in the same field:
  1. Relationship. Make sure you're on track with the Almighty. Better terming would be "in tune" with God.
  2. Commitment. You want to rock for God? Let your "yes" be "yes" and your "no" be "no".
  3. Practice. If you rehearse for a gig, a show, a concert, or any other activity that involves performance, you find the time to practice. All the more you should do this when your audience is the creator of music. Oh, and practice on your own. Further your skills and be the best you can be.
  4. Discipline. Be consistent in keeping these.
I might have missed some important points, but for now, this will do. I have yet to tell more about my mishaps, dreams, and frustrations too.

No comments: