Tuesday, April 3, 2007

IPAQ 2210 / 2215 Pocket PC

Old School Gear I still love

I've had this unit since the life of me. I think it's one of my most expensive, if not the most, investments back in college. Was able to save enough to buy me a decent personal digital assistant. Bought it second hand in bidshot. Buyer arranged a new replacement from HP Philippines. Exchanged it for the new unit. Eventually, new unit gave me some sort of oil inside. I don't know if it was an LCD leak or something. Had the unit replaced by HP. Got a new one again. Ran smooth. Took care of it as much as I could. Eventually, it gave me the dreadful white screen of death. No amount of charging, discharging, banging around, and abuse could bring it back up. Brought the unit back to HP for repairs. Guess what? They took it in and replaced it again!

Reflecting back, HP Philippines does have great customer support. I have to personally thank Mr. Vincent Polido whose name I will not forget for his superb and sincere assistance to me and my pocket pc. I still have the 3rd brand new unit with me, all functional and well. I think he is now disconnected with HP but wherever he is, I hope he is well and prosperous.

I just bought a Tomato. It's a 2GB SD card / USB flash drive. It's a hybrid type. Take off the cap and tadah! It's a flash drive. Copied a lot of mp3's on it and installed Ppod, a discontinued iPod simulator (thanks to apple!) for the pocketpc. It's cool actually. Now I have a 2Gb pseudo iPod. I love it. I'm sure this isn't the end of it.

Of course, I still installed the pocket pc essentials. Dictionaries, games (yes! they are essential), resco programs and all. For musicians who do own a pocket pc, I would recommend the following programs:
  • Phontuner - it's a visual tuner for your instrument. There are several instrument presets for guitar, violin, cello, and singing. Available to pocket pc, symbian OS, and Palm. It's the best tuner I've found.
  • Beats Metronome - Says what it says it does. It's a metronome. I think there are better ones though, but for now, this will do. It's also stuck at 4/4 time signature. So much for Uneven. No, not my band! The time signature!
  • Resco Audio Recorder - a decent audio recorder for your pocket pc. Records straight to mp3. nice!
I hope I can expand this unit more. As a good friend of mine put it, "You're not maximizing your pocketpc!".

That got my ass moving.

No comments: